The topics will be taught with special reference to their Pharmaceutical Applications.
PHARMACEUTICAL CHEMISTRY-IA (ORGANIC) [Theory]
1. BASIC CONCEPTS: Chemical Bonding and concept of Hybridization, Conjugation, Resonance (Mesomerism), Hyperconjugation, Aromaticity, Inductive effect, Electromeric effect, Hydrogen bonding, Steric effect, Effect of structure on reactivity of compounds, Tautornerism of Carbonyl Compounds, Nomenclature of Organic Compounds.
2. STEREOCHEMISTRY/ CONFORMATIONAL ANALYSIS: Stereoisomerism, optical isomerism; Molecules with more than one chiral center, Geometrical isomerism, Resolution of racemic mixture, Conformational analysis.
3. GENERAL METHODS OF PREPARATION, PROPERTIES, IDENTIFICATION TEST AND PHARMACEUTICAL APPLICATIONS OF THE FOLLOWING CLASSES AND THEIR ANALOGUES: i. Alkane, Alkenes, Alkynes, Aromatic compounds ii. Alkyl halide, Alcohol, phenols, ethers, amines iii. Ketones, Aldehydes iv. Acids, Esters, Amides and derivative 8
4. NUCLEOPHILIC, ELECTROPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTION IN ALIPHATIC AND AROMATIC SYSTEMS:
5. ORIENTATION IN ELECTROPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTIONS ON BENZENE RING
PHARMACEUTICAL CHEMISTRY-IA (ORGANIC) [Practical]
NOTE: Practicals of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. Organic analysis: Identification of unknown simple organic compounds.