Dosage Forms Science: Pharmaceutics-IIA (410) (411)
PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS: Some Fundamentals of
Measurements and Calculations. The Metric System. The Common Systems. Conversions. Calculation of Doses. Percentage calculations, Reducing and Enlarging Formulas. Weights and Volumes of Liquids. HLB Values. Industrial Calculations. Calculations involving parenteral admixtures. Some calculations involving Hydrogen-ion concentration. Calculations involving isotonic, electrolyte and buffer solutions.
2. INTRODUCTION: Dosage form. Ingredients, Product formulation.
3. GALENICAL PREPARATIONS: Infusions. Decoctions. Extracts. Fluid extracts. Tinctures. Aromatic Waters.
4. EXTRACTION PROCESSES: Maceration: Purpose and process. Percolation: Purpose and Process. Liquid-Liquid extraction. Large scale extraction.
5. SOLVENTS USED IN PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS.
6. ORAL SOLUTIONS, SYRUPS, ELIXIRS AND SPIRITS
Solutions and their preparation, dry mixtures for solution, oral rehydrate solutions, oral colonic leverage solution. Syrup: components and preparation of Syrups. Elixirs: Preparation of elixirs, medicated and non-medicated elixirs.
7. ORAL SUSPENSIONS, EMULSIONS, MAGMA AND GELS: Preparations, Examples, and Importance.
8. TRANSDERMAL DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS: Introduction of Ointments, Creams, Pastes, Poultice, Plasters, Lotions, Liniments, Topical gels, Topical Tinctures, Collodions, Topical solutions, Topical Powders, Percutaneous absorption, Transdermal systems in use.
9.OPHTHALMIC, NASAL AND OTIC PREPARATIONS: Ophthalmic solutions, suspensions, ointment, inserts, contact lens solutions. Nasal decongestant solutions, Decongestant inhalers. Ear preparations: Anti-infective, anti-inflammatory and analgesic.