Surgery: Course Outline (MBBS)
1- Principles of Surgery
- Metabolic response to Surgical Trauma and homeostasis. (C2)
- Pathophysiology and Management of Shock (C3)
- Fluid, electrolyte and acid base balance. (C3)
- Haemorrhage, coagulapathy and Blood/products Transfusion and itscomplications. (C3)
- Nutrition of surgical patients. (C2)
- Wounds, wound repair and its complications (C3).
2- To understand:
- Investigation and treatment of common Infections and Parasitic Infestations of Surgical Importance including clinical therapeutics (C3)
- Gas Gangrene and Tetanus (C2).
- Special Infections related to surgery (C3)
- Principles in the Management of common Skin and Soft Tissue Problems: Ulcers, abscesses, inflammations, cysts, sinuses & fistulae, swellings, embedded foreign Bodies, minor Injuries and benign and malignant conditions (C3)
- Principles of oncologic therapy and palliation (C2)
- Principles of organ transplantation and its ethics and implications (C2).
- Surgical Audit (small group discussions)
- Surgical ethics
- Pre-hospital care (P2)
- Triage (P2)
- Primary survey, ABC and DE (P3). Primary Survey of Polytrauma patients with airway difficulty and circulatory instability (P2)
- External Haemorrhage (P2)
- Airway management. (P3)
- Tension Pneumothorax. (P2)
- Cardiac Tamponade. (P2)
- Head injuries
- Resuscitation P2
- Management of the Patient with Head Injury P1
- Management of an Unconscious patient due to Head Injury (C3, p1) and Glasgow Coma Scale (C3)
- Skull fractures C3
- Intracranial pressure C2
- Intracranial hemorrhage C3
- Cervical spine injury C3P1
- Spinal cord trauma P1
- Blunt and Penetrating Injuries of chest and their Complications C3, including haemothorax, pneumothorax, resuscitation, chest drains C3P1
- Principles of management of (blunt and penetrating), liver/spleen, pelvic and urogenital trauma C3Principles of management of fractures / dislocation C3/P1
- Focused Abdominal Sonographic Assessment for trauma (FAST) C3
- Peripheral nerve Injuries C3P1
- Amputations C3
4- Operative procedures and basic surgical skills
1- Provide First Aid: Resuscitation (ABC) of Polytrauma, CPR.
2- Collect samples of blood, urine, stool, sputum, pus swab etc.
3- Insert Naso-gastric tube, have observed chest intubation and paracentesis.
4- Do IV cannulation, should have Observed CV-line insertion and cutdown of veins.
5- Able to Catheterize male and female patients.