Immunology: Course Outline
Immunology is a branch of biomedical science that covers the study of all aspects of the immune system in all organisms
- Differentiate between antigen, antibody, epitope, hapten and adhesion molecules. Differentiate between innate and acquired immunity.
- The structure and function of Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC). Cytokines.
- The mechanism of humoral and cell mediated immunity.
- Type I, type II, type III and type IV hypersensitivity reactions giving relevant examples.
- Differentiate between auto graft, homograft, allograft and xeno graft. Immuno tolerance and immune paralysis. Discuss the mechanism involved in allograft rejection and steps that can be taken to combat rejection.
- Classification of immunodeficiency disorders.
- The basis of autoimmunity.
- Amyloidosis-Pathogenesis, classification.