Media Laws and Ethics: Course Outline
The students with the knowledge of the ethical norms that are required to be followed in the pursuit of professional duties by the working journalists and media institutions
- Why Society needs system of Ethics, requirements of system of ethics; Significance of Study of Ethics and its applicability;Objectives of Ethics Education in Media.
- Social Responsibility Theory: Evolution of Code of Ethics and Factors which contributed to its development; First Code of Ethics drawn up by American Society of Newspapers Editors.
- Hutchinson Commission Report; Moral reasoning process for Ethical Decisions;Factors affecting moral decision making.
- Theoretical Approaches To Understanding Ethical Decisions ; Code Of Professional Standards (PR Practitioners Association )
- Freedom of Expression as guaranteed in UN Human Rights Charter ; International Watch-dogs of Media Freedom
- UNESCO principles of freedom of media ;European Council ; Human Rights Watch; Amnesty International
- International Federation of Journalists, its role in safeguarding media freedom and code of ethics adopted by it. Code of Ethics adopted by Council of Pakistan Newspaper Editors
- Need for Media Regulation ; Media Government Relations
- Modes of Media Regulation ( Constitution , International obligations, laws and administrative policies)
- Self RegulationTools of Self Regulation ( professional ethics ,institutional ethics, Ombudsman and News/Press Councils)
- Australian Press Council ; Pakistan Press Council Ordinance 2002
- Media in Pakistan, its development since partition, Press Commission Report.
- Media Regulation in Pakistan; Press and Publications Ordinance 1960: West Pakistan Press and Publications Ordinance 1963 Why it was called black law ?
- Promulgation of Press and Publication Ordinance 1989 and role of media bodies such as APNS ,CPNE and PFUJ in its enactment
- Press, Newspaper ,News Agencies and Books Regulation Ordinance 2002 ;
- Freedom of Information Ordinance 2002
- Electronic Media in Pakistan; Pakistan Broadcasting Act 1973 ; Memorandum of Pakistan Television ; Role of Radio and PTV in national integration.
- Administrative policies for regulation of Media, press advice, centralization of government advertisement; Audit Bureau of Circulation; News Print Quota ; Role of Agencies.
- Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority Ordinance 2002; its impact and future of electronic media in Pakistan.