Biomaterial & Design: Course Outline (BM-442)
Biomaterials Science and Review: Hard Tissues and Pathologies, Orthopaedic prostheses, Properties of Natural Tissue Replacements.
Biopolymers and Biomaterials: 3D structure of Biopolymers by Bio Xray diffraction, Biomedical application of chitosan and other Biopolymers, Structure property relationships, Metals – Dental Implants, Bioceramics and Composites
Biocompatibility: Immune System, Corrosion, Deterioration of Nonmetallic Materials, Mechanical Factors, Testing of Biomaterials.
Applications: Joint Replacements, Fracture Fixation, Soft Tissue Implants, Vascular Implants, Tissue Engineering; Gene Therapy using viral vectors, Materials for Scaffolding.
Title of Practicals
- To build molecular model of a biopolymer from basic repeating peptide units
- Molecular graphics of basic repeating units of biopolymer
- Interpretation of bio X-ray diffraction of a biomaterial expected diffraction pattern
- Calculate R-value for structural analysis of biopolymers
- To built model of CHITOSAN (bio-materials) from basic repeating units.
- Molecular graphics of basic repeating units of CHITOSAN.
- Demonstration of features of dental chair & dental operatory.
- Demonstration of bio-materials (bioceramics, porcelain & metals) its composition & properties
- Demonstration of the process of sterilization, autoclave & X-ray unit (dental).
- Separation of bio-material (protein) by electrophoresis method involved in various diseases.
- Demonstration of different types of sutures.