Professional Ethics: Course Outline
The main objective of this program is to produce effective leaders and scholars in professions education
- Ethics and morality in the western tradition.
- The Qur’anic and sunnah view of ethics and morality; concept of good(ma’ruf) and bad (munkar), truth (haqq) and wrong (batil); equity and fairness (adl) and injustice and oppression (zulm) al and freedom of the will (will)
- Relativist and absolute visions of ethics.
- Tawhid, its meaning and implications for personal, familia, social, economic, political, cultural, legal and “religious” realms. Ideal role model for a professional: Historicity, accessibility, practicality and comprehensiveness of the role model;
- Universal ethical values as the basis for society, economy, politics, law, culture, and professional conduct and behavior.
- Ethical foundation of family, rights and obligations.
- Ethical foundations of economy
- Ethical foundations fo state
- Ethical foundations fo education
- Ethical foundations of law: the objectives of Shari’ah or the maqasid.
- Cooperation in good (taawun’ala al-birr), offering help, self-sacrifice, doing more for others. Non cooperation in matters of unethical nature.
- Desirable ethical and behavioral qualities (sifat Mahmudah) and undesirable conduct (sifat mardudah)