Ordinary Differential Equations: Course Outline (MAT 404)
The course serves as an introduction to differential equations and provides a prerequisite for further study in those areas.
- Definitions and occurrence of differential equations (DEs), Remarks on existence and uniqueness of solution,
- First order and simple higher order DEs, Special equations of 1st order, Elementary applications of 1st order DEs,
- Theory of linear differential equations, Linear equations with constant coefficients,
- Methods of undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters,
- S-L boundary value problems,
- Self adjoint operators,
- Fourier series, Series solution of DEs,
- Bessel, Modified Bessel, Legendres, Hermite, Hypergeometric,
- Lauguere equations and their solutions, Orthogonal polynomials,
- Green function for ordinary differential equations.