Introduction to Basic Concepts in Disaster Management: Course Outline (MSDM)
Disaster Management can be defined as the organization and management of resources and responsibilities for dealing with all humanitarian aspects of emergencies, in particular preparedness, response and recovery in order to lessen the impact of disasters.
- This module provides basic knowledge of hazards, disasters, risks, vulnerability and capacity including natural, climatic and human induced factors and associated impacts.
- On completion of this module, students should understand the nature and types of disasters, associated risks and impacts to these disasters.
- Definitions of Natural Hazards and Disasters
- Classification of Natural hazards
- Classification of Disasters
- Disaster risks
- Introduction to Floods, Earthquakes, Landslides, Drought, Desertification, GLOFs, Avalanches, Cyclones and Storms (Types, Causes and Impacts)
- Introduction to climate change and climatic variability
- Epidemic Diseases
- Livestock etc.
- Man-made Disasters
- Forest fire