Strategic Finance: Course Outline (MS A&F and MS MGT)
The aim of this course is to examine the theoretical underpinnings of corporate finance and see how they are applied. The material is a continuation of what was taught in the first year Financial Management course. There will be more emphasis on “how corporate financing is really done’. The emphasis of Financial Management course was on skill development while this course emphasis is on theoretical and conceptual understanding of financial management function and its application in real life scenario.
The students should be able to discuss the conceptual and theoretical underpinnings of financial management function.
On completion of the course, students are expected to:
- Understand the development of the theory of corporate finance.
- Appreciate the implications of economic, legal and social environment on financial management function.
- Understand the basics of finance theory as it applies to corporate financial decisions.
- Be able to apply tools and techniques of financial management while appreciating their limitations.
- Understand issues of Valuation and their application for Take-Over, Acquisition and Merger.
- Understand and appreciate the difference between conventional and Islamic finance.
- Understand the current economic systems and their pros and cons.
Be able to understand the current economic crisis and to suggest the corrective measures.