Nano Science and Technology: Course Outline (PH-519)
Nanoscience and nanotechnology are the study and application of extremely small things and can be used across all the other science fields, such as chemistry, biology, physics, materials science, and engineering.
- Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology: Historical perspectives of Nanotechnology, Advance Materials, Nature’s take on Nano and the Advent, Business of Nanotechnology, Education and Workforce Development, Buildings for Nanotech, National and International Infrastructure, Nanotechnology Products.
- Societal Implications of Nanotechnology: Introduction to Societal Issues, Ethical implications, Legal Implications, Environmental implications, Public perception, Future of Nanotechnology
- Materials, Structure and Nanosurface: Importance of the surface, Engineering Materials, Particle Shape and the surface, Surface and Volume, Atomic Structure, Particle Orientation, materials at Nano scale
- Fabrication and characterization Methods: Fabrication of Nonmaterial’s, Top-Down Fabrication, Bottom-Up Fabrication, Electron Probe Method, and Scanning probe Microscopy Methods, Spectroscopic Methods, Atomic force microscopy, Raman Spectroscopy
- Carbon-Based Nanomaterials: Diamond, Fullerenes, Graphene, Carbon Nano tubes, properties and types CNT’s, Growth and applications of CNT’s, Nano materials natural and manmade, semiconductor Nano particles, ceramic Nano particles, metal Nano physics, polymers and composites, History, Definitions, Nano materials, Carbon, Inorganic Nanotubes, Metals, Oxides, Quantum dots, Surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy, Nano catalysis.
- Environmental and Nanotechnology: Environment and nanotechnology, Water and Soil Quality, Monitoring and Mitigation, Energy, Environmental sensors and monitoring, Water treatment, Air purification. The regulatory issues, Current issues and knowledge gaps, Risk assessment of engineered Nanoparticles
- Nanoparticles in the atmosphere: Sources of atmospheric Nano particles, Particle size distribution, Measurement of nano particles in Roadside Air, Transformation and transport of ultrafine particles, Measurement of particle number concentration in the atmosphere, Chemical composition of atmospheric Nano particles, Indoor/ outdoor relationships of nano particles.
- Occupational exposure to Nanoparticles and nanotubes: Scientific framework for assessing exposure to nanoparticles, Review of methods for assessing exposure of nanoparticles, Review of reported measurements of exposure to Nanoparticles.