1. Course Objectives, Pre-requisite, Grading Policy, Recommended Books, Some Terminology, Communication Model, Communication Tasks, Reason for Establishing Networks, Types of Links in Network, Types of Transmission, Unicast, Multicast, Broadcast, Metcalf's Law, Internet Connectivity through ISP, Structure of Internet, WWW vs. Internet, Clients and Servers in Network.
2. Categories of Networks, Network Coverage Area, Personal Area Network (PAN), Body Area Network (BAN), Local Area Network (LAN), LAN Topologies, Wired LANs, Star Topology, Bus Topology, Ring Topology, Hybrid Tree Topology, Mesh Topology, Wireless LANs, Devices in Wireless LANs, Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANET), Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks (VANET)
3. Metropolitan Area Network (MAN), Wireless MAN, Cellular Network, GSM/GPRS Network, Wide Area Network, WAN Architecture, Circuit Switching, Packet Switching, Hierarchy of Network Devices, Access Network, Distribution Network, Core Network.
4. Networking Protocols, Protocols vs. Standards, Protocol Models, Protocol Architecture, OSI Reference Model, Layers and their Headers, Application Layer, Presentation Layer, Session Layer, Transport Layer, Network Layer, Data Link Layer, Physical Layer
5. Hop-to-Hop Delivery, Source-to-Destination Delivery, Process-to-Process Delivery, TCP/IP Protocol Suite, Communication with TCP/IP, Devices in Protocol Stack, Addressing at different Layers, Encapsulation and Protocol Headers, Data Naming Convention at different Layers, Other Protocol Types, Standards Organizations.
6. IEEE 802.3 Ethernet, LAN Standards, Scope of LAN Technologies, Data Link Layer, Media Access Control, Multiple Access Protocols, Bus/Star Configuration, Ethernet Transmission, Working in Hub, Collision Domain in Hub, Working in Switch, Collision Domain in Switch
7. Ethernet Card, MAC Address, ipconfig/all command, MAC Header, Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD), Binary Exponential Backoff (BEB), Evolution of Ethernet, Ethernet Bridge, Typical Configuration of Ethernet in Enterprise Network, Ethernet in Integrated Devices.