Community Medicine: Course Outline
1.Concept of Health and Disease
- Concept of health, Definition of health. Dimensions, physical, mental, social and spiritual. Spectrum of health, Determinants of health.
- Responsibility for health. Indicators of health. Health promotion.
- Concept of disease, concept of causation (all theories including ecological triad, agent, host and environmental factors), spectrum of disease.
- Natural history of disease. Levels of prevention.
- Disease elimination and eradication. Disease surveillance and disease prevention.
2. Introduction to Public Health
- Historical background. Evolution of Public health. Definition of Public health. Branches of Public health. Preventive medicine, social medicine, population medicine, community medicine. International
3. Health Systems in Pakistan
- Development of Public Health in Pakistan.
- Economics and Health.
- Health Policy and planning in Pakistan. “Health for all”, background, concepts and progress. “Primary Health Care”: Concepts and progress.
- The National Disease Control programmes; policies, strategies and operations.
- Health System in Pakistan: The role of Federal and Provincial
- Governments in Health Care. The District Health System, in the context of devolution. The Physician as a manager: Functions of manager, management of material, human and financial resources.
- Leadership and motivation.
- Partners in Health: The public and private sector.
- Non-governmental Organizations and International Agencies.
- Resources for health.
- Community Mobilizati General Epidemiology and Research Methodology
- Background and concepts, uses, basic measurements in epidemiology (morbidity, mortality, disability and fatality)
- Epidemiological methods
- Epidemiological transition. Association and causation. Investigation of an outbreak or an epidemic. Screening for disease.
- Community diagnosis.
- Research and survey methodology. Introduction to qualitative research methodology.