Ethics in Information Security: Reading Material
Reading Material And Methodology
Problem Based Learning Methodology – Learning through asking questions and seeking replies with references from the Quran and Sunnah. We will use islamqa.com, one of the best and comprehensive Web Site supervised by Shaikh Salih bin Munajid from Saudi Arabia. The following questions will provide detailed understanding on the topics.
Section 1-General Zehan Sazi Material
- Who is to say what is halaal and haraam ?
- Conditions Acceptability of Deeds by Allah
- Attitude of Islam towards other religions
- The importance of being truthful
- Is it permissible to lie to kaafirs?
- Are rizq (provision) and marriage written in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz?
- What is the aqeeda of Alliance and Disavowal. The Concept of Love & Hate in Islam
- Beware of rumors at times of crisis (Surah Hujrat Ayat) – Link to IS & telecom professional
- Is it permissible for him in his job to help jobseekers to work in haraam organisations?
- What are haraam types of jobs? How did the Sahaabah earn a living? What is the best way to earn a living?
- Does committing a sin openly put a person beyond the pale of Islam?
- The wisdom behind calamities
- Ridding oneself of arrogance
- Is it correct to think that fatwas may vary according to time and place?
- He asking about the proper Islamic way to celebrate weddings
Section 2 – Case Studies -Sample Issues in IT/IS related Projects – Just to Highlight Issues and Corresponding Rulings
- Ruling on programming electronic games
- Electronic games
- Can he sell computer programs even though he is afraid that they may be used for haraam purposes?
- Developing an iPhone program on a personal computer contrary to the agreement with the Apple company
- Ruling on animated drawings (cartoons)
- Prohibition of images and erecting statues, and the effect this has on ‘aqeedah
- Ruling on drawing animate beings
- Using the company’s property for personal things
- Ruling on copying programs
- Ruling on buying copied computer programs
Section 5 – Case Studies–Riba and Riba Based Jobs/ Projects in IS
- Definition of riba and ruling on work that helps with riba
- Harmful effects of Riba
- Working in a riba-based bank without directly dealing with riba and depositing money in such a bank
- Working in a programming company whose clients include riba-based banks and companies that produce alcohol
- Ruling on working in a programming company that has another section which designs websites for advertising alcohol
- He has been offered a job in a bank that deals in riba (interest)
- Invitation to a dinner given by a riba-based bank
- Regarding riba as permissible
Section 3 – Relationship with Non-Muslims; Risks and Mitigation Strategies for Migrating to Non-Muslim Countries for Muslim IS Professionals
- Principles and guidelines for Muslims’ relations with non-Muslims
- Qualities which must be present in the land to which one makes hijrah
- Travelling to the land of the kuffaar to seek knowledge, and helping the kuffaar to make software
- Should he go back and live in a kaafir country?
- Staying in a country where one cannot practice one’s religion openly. Can Muslims settle in kaafir countries for the sake of a better life?
- Guidelines concerning imitation of the kuffaar
- Copying programs, crack and serial
Section 6- Issues Specific to Mixed Environments and Muslim Women in IT/IS
- What are some challenges faced by a Muslim IS Professional in mixed environments and how to deal with them?
- Does Islam regard men and women as equal?
- Should she continue working in place where she mixes with men?
- Guidelines on women working outside the home
- Is zinaa intercourse only?
- Evidence Prohibiting of Mixing of Men and Women
- Is it permissible for a father to force his daughter to work in a mixed environment?
- Verses and hadeeth about hijab
- Ruling on covering the face, with detailed evidence