This course deals with major techniques and approaches to the development and implementation of strategy as it concerns firms competing domestically and internationally. We will explore the underlying concepts, analytical techniques, and evaluation of strategic options that form the basis for strategic analysis and action. This course is designed to introduce you to key strategic concepts and to explore the reasons for the success and failure of businesses in this era of global competition. The course teaches concepts applicable to firms around the world, with a special emphasis to small and large companies based in Asia.
By the end of this course it is expected that the student should be able to
1. Familiar with the concepts, frameworks and techniques of strategy
2. Gain expertise in applying these concepts, frameworks and techniques to:
• Understand the reasons for good or bad performance by a firm
• Generate strategy options for a firm
• Assess available options under conditions of imperfect knowledge
• Select the most appropriate strategy
• Recommend means of implementing the chosen strategy.
3. Enhance your ability to.
4. Improve your analytical, discussion and presentation skills.