Total Quality Management: Course Outline
Total Quality Management (TQM) is a comprehensive and fundamental rule or belief for leading and operating an organization, aimed at continually improving performance over the long term by focusing on customers while addressing the needs of all stakeholde
- Definition of TQM
- Overview of quality and dimensions of quality
- TQM framework
- Quality Gurus and their contribution to TQM
- Obstacles in implementing TQM program in an organization
- Quality statements
- Importance of Communication in implementing TQM program
- Typical measurements (cost, time ,HR, marketing, administrative measures and so on)
- Criteria for choosing performance measures and building performance excellence
- Benefits of ISO registration
- ISO Series of Standards
- Environmental management system (ISO 14000)
- Introduction to SPC
- Basic SPC Tools
By the end of this course it is expected that the student should be able to
- Implement the principles and concepts inherent in a Total Quality Management (TQM) approach to managing a manufacturing or service organization.
- Understand the philosophies--including similarities and differences--of the gurus of TQM in order to better evaluate TQM implementation proposals offered by quality management organizations and consultants.
- Successfully implement process improvement teams trained to use the various quality tools for identifying appropriate process improvements.
- Assess exactly where an organization stands on quality management with respect to the ISO 9000 quality management standard and the Baldrige Award criteria.
- Develop a strategy for implementing TQM in an organization.